POSTMENOPAUSAL VAGINAL DRYNESS
Symptoms Causes & Treatments
Usually, vaginal wall stay lubricated by a layer of clear liquid. The Estrogen hormone helps maintain this kind of clear fluid and keeps the vaginal lining healthy and maintains elasticity.
It could be happened at any age from a number of particular reasons but elder women are mostly affected.
The lack of vaginal moisture can have a huge impact on your sex life. Treatments are available to less vaginal dryness.
The condition can also lead to a serious matter like; bacterial or yeast infection.
Symptoms of vaginal dryness may include-
- Burning of vagina
- Painful intercourse
- Mild bleeding after intercourse
- Mild vaginal discharge
Vaginal dryness is common symptom of menopause. After menopause estrogen hormone level reduce due to absent of ovulation.
Estrogen levels can also drop because of:
- Childbirth and breastfeeding
- Radiation or chemotherapy treatment for cancer
- Surgical removal of the ovaries
- Anti estrogen medications used to treat uterine fibroid and endometriosis
- Sjogren’s syndrome (a rare autoimmune disorder)
- Allergy and cold medication
- Antidepressant drugs
- Not enough foreplay before sex
- Your doctor will do a pelvic exam, checking your vagina for any thinning or redness.
- Hormone levels
- Whole blood count
Many treatments are available for postmenopausal dryness. Hormone replacement therapy could be nice solution for this. However, you can take estrogen medication in ring, cream or tablet form.
However, treatments varies patient to patient 's health condition, age and food habit. Before starting any treatment, speak with an experienced gynaecologist for exact treatment.